Sunday, February 11, 2007

How We Started Homeschooling


I love homeschooling and I love being a Homemaker!

I remember the first time I heard the word "home school." My friend and I had taken our children to the library carnival. She had sat down beside a lady with several children and started talking to her while I fixed the lunches. The home school mom handed my friend a card with a website on it linking to the Pulaski home school group. I knew that very day, that very moment what God called me to do. Home school my babies! I called a couple home school moms and got tons of information from them. I read several books that talked about different ways to home school. I prepared a list of points to bring up while trying to persuade my husband to let me start homeschooling. Our son is very timid and he already knew it would be hard on him. When he started public school. However, my daughter was very friendly and had been going to public school for four years. Would this work for us? Is this something I could do? As I prepared the index card to read off to my husband, I started getting nervous. At that point I began to search the Word to find out what our duty as parents were to our children. The butterflies in my stomach soon left. I got such a peace in my spirit. I knew I was going to go through with my plea. I waited for my husband to get up and then I laid it all on the table. I told him what I had previously read from the bible about teaching our children when you rise, walk, and lie down. Lo and behold, I didn't have to plead with him long. He agreed to a trial year. We have been homeschooling since that day.
Now, don't get me wrong. I'm sure he had some questions of his own, but he took my word for it. He based his decision on my confidence in what I was about to start doing. Teaching my children. Was this just a dream? Did he just say "yes" that easily? He did. Now, it was up to me to do my God given duty and teach my children academics as well as train them in fear and admonition of the Lord. Boy did I have a job ahead of me. I had something to prove. I had to prove that we could be a successful home school family.
God has blessed our home school and our family. He has prepared a way for me to stay home with my children and give them 100% of my time. Without God's blessings on our family and home, none of this would be possible.
Blessings,
Amanda

No comments: